Gaming For Dummies
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Beyond Good and Evil

3 posters

Go down

Beyond Good and Evil Empty Beyond Good and Evil

Post  deatheven Wed 29 Jun 2011, 5:46 am

Hey I’m writing a review for the game Beyond Good and Evil. I played this game quite recently with my brother and I’ve played it many a time over the years with my family and have completed this amazing game on a number of occasions and to be quite honest, I wish I could relive every moment of playing this awesome game. Smile

Time played: god knows, as a guess, I’d say around 50-100 hours
Rating: I must give this game 9.5/10
Platform: I played Beyond Good and Evil on the GameCube.

I would say out of all the old games I used to play, this will have to come first on a list of the games I love, When I first played it, it had me dragged right inside of it as soon as I picked the controller up. You know I like the game, but why? Here’s why:

Characters: You play as a girl named Jade with quite a mysterious background and history, which you don’t find too much about so it leaves you thinking, You play with Jade’s uncle Paige, and throughout you can find other companions and friendly faces. The main enemies of the game are called “the Domz”, these “things” are explained in various details throughout the game itself, but you never really find out too much about them but enough to know that hugging them better is not an option. There is in a manner of speaking, a good army and a bad army in the game.

Storyline: The storyline is of the girl called Jade who is also a photographer soon into the game who is recruited to help save Hillys (the place the game is set), She is sent out to try and get evidence of bad things going on, This soon turns out to be more than she expected. The storyline of Beyond Good and Evil is quite exceptional; the storyline itself is very interesting and keeps you wondering all the time about what’s happening and who everyone is. There are mini-side quests as I’ll call them, as the game is also free roam to an extent, you can go off and try other things or just explore and find some new animals.

Game play: The game play is very fun and playable, unlike the odd game you find. While the storyline obviously plays a big part in the game, it doesn’t stop you from doing your own thing for a little bit, for while you’re doing your own thing, the effects of the story do still take place so when you decide to continue on you still remember what’s going on.
Combat: The combat can be quite interesting, funny and fun throughout. You yourself, as the character jade who you’re playing as, you are equipped with a staff which you use to, well hit things with, during the game you are able to find other weapons such as a disk launcher. You can get companions such as your uncle Paige who can attack enemies with you and, when they find certain items can use super attacks. These super attacks and weapons aren’t just used for combat; they’re used to access secret areas and progress through the game etc.

Graphics: Unfortunately, because the game was released years ago, the graphics aren’t up to date as games now are. But the graphics are still surprisingly good; The cut scenes could have a little update with movement and facial graphics etc. But that can’t be helped considering when the game came out.

So there’s my review of what I think is one of the most amazing games of all time, I recommend if you still have a GameCube or any console this game is available for to get this game and try it out. Thanks for reading.
Deatheven
deatheven
deatheven
Admin

https://what-the-game.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Beyond Good and Evil Empty Re: Beyond Good and Evil

Post  CrimsonWolf Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:42 am

deatheven wrote:Hey I’m writing a review for the game Beyond Good and Evil. I played this game quite recently with my brother and I’ve played it many a time over the years with my family and have completed this amazing game on a number of occasions and to be quite honest, I wish I could relive every moment of playing this awesome game. Smile

I would say out of all the old games I used to play, this will have to come first on a list of the games I love, When I first played it, it had me dragged right inside of it as soon as I picked the controller up. You know I like the game, but why? Here’s why:

Characters: You play as a girl named Jade with quite a mysterious background and history, which you don’t find too much about so it leaves you thinking, You play with Jade’s uncle Paige, and throughout you can find other companions and friendly faces. The main enemies of the game are called “the Domz”, these “things” are explained in various details throughout the game itself, but you never really find out too much about them but enough to know that hugging them better is not an option. There is in a manner of speaking, a good army and a bad army in the game.

Storyline: The storyline is of the girl called Jade who is also a photographer soon into the game who is recruited to help save Hillys (the place the game is set), She is sent out to try and get evidence of bad things going on, This soon turns out to be more than she expected. The storyline of Beyond Good and Evil is quite exceptional; the storyline itself is very interesting and keeps you wondering all the time about what’s happening and who everyone is. There are mini-side quests as I’ll call them, as the game is also free roam to an extent, you can go off and try other things or just explore and find some new animals.

Game play: The game play is very fun and playable, unlike the odd game you find. While the storyline obviously plays a big part in the game, it doesn’t stop you from doing your own thing for a little bit, for while you’re doing your own thing, the effects of the story do still take place so when you decide to continue on you still remember what’s going on.
Combat: The combat can be quite interesting, funny and fun throughout. You yourself, as the character jade who you’re playing as, you are equipped with a staff which you use to, well hit things with, during the game you are able to find other weapons such as a disk launcher. You can get companions such as your uncle Paige who can attack enemies with you and, when they find certain items can use super attacks. These super attacks and weapons aren’t just used for combat; they’re used to access secret areas and progress through the game etc.

Graphics: Unfortunately, because the game was released years ago, the graphics aren’t up to date as games now are. But the graphics are still surprisingly good; The cut scenes could have a little update with movement and facial graphics etc. But that can’t be helped considering when the game came out.

So there’s my review of what I think is one of the most amazing games of all time, I recommend if you still have a GameCube or any console this game is available for to get this game and try it out. Thanks for reading.
Deatheven

Nice one. This review is of good length and gives reasons for opinions, something I didn't expect from someone with little experience in reviewing and I'm glad to see this. Smile However, here are some suggestions and advice for your future reviews:

1. Always type your reviews in a word-processing program that gives the basic tools, such as spellcheck and word count. This helps you avoid making silly spelling mistakes and corrects typos, whilst showing you just how much you've written. Only then (once you are done), copy and paste your work to the forum.

2. Try not to use subheadings like you did with this review. What really requires skill in writing a review is being able to write one that feels like a whole, flows greatly from the start to the very end and doesn't need to be divided up into bits. Still, if that's how you want to write (by using subheadings) you can do so. This one is just a suggestion and something I've learnt from experience and critiques from others.

3. Use more examples. You obviously can back up your opinions with reasons, which is good as those are the basics that many people somehow forget/don't pay attention to. However, then there's a fraction of readers who want proof, evidence that proves what you're saying is true. Now obviously a review is an opinion, so there's no way that a reader will agree with everything you say in the review if they have played the game themselves - this is absolutely normal. But when you say, for example: "this game is very immersive and uses an atmospheric soundtrack, captivating voice acting and gameplay mechanics to hook the player in", you should go on to give an example of a character that is particularly well-voiced and what makes them so great, or what gameplay mechanics are used to immerse the player etc.

4. Try to control the length of your reviews. In my opinion, a review that consists of less than 500 words isn't worth my time. Of course, various people have different expectations and preferences. A review that has over 2,500 words probably won't get my attention unless I'm really interested in the game it's about or I start reading it and it is so good that I get hooked in. However, even if a very long review hooks me in, it might start to drag on later and lose my attention. That's why I recommend keeping your review at around 1,000 words (1,500 being the final maximum limit).

5. I suggest writing about the difficulty of the game in your review as well, as that is a major factor for many people when deciding whether to buy a game or not.

Please keep in mind that this is all just advice and there's really no right or wrong way to go about when writing a review. Overall, for your first, this review is great and I recommend it. Smile
CrimsonWolf
CrimsonWolf
Admin

https://what-the-game.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  deatheven Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:48 am

CrimsonWolf wrote:
deatheven wrote:Hey I’m writing a review for the game Beyond Good and Evil. I played this game quite recently with my brother and I’ve played it many a time over the years with my family and have completed this amazing game on a number of occasions and to be quite honest, I wish I could relive every moment of playing this awesome game. Smile

Deatheven

Nice one. This review is of good length and gives reasons for opinions, something I didn't expect from someone with little experience in reviewing and I'm glad to see this. Smile However, here are some suggestions and advice for your future reviews:

1. Always type your reviews in a word-processing program that gives the basic tools, such as spellcheck and word count. This helps you avoid making silly spelling mistakes and corrects typos, whilst showing you just how much you've written. Only then (once you are done), copy and paste your work to the forum.

2. Try not to use subheadings like you did with this review. What really requires skill in writing a review is being able to write one that feels like a whole, flows greatly from the start to the very end and doesn't need to be divided up into bits. Still, if that's how you want to write (by using subheadings) you can do so. This one is just a suggestion and something I've learnt from experience and critiques from others.

3. Use more examples. You obviously can back up your opinions with reasons, which is good as those are the basics that many people somehow forget/don't pay attention to. However, then there's a fraction of readers who want proof, evidence that proves what you're saying is true. Now obviously a review is an opinion, so there's no way that a reader will agree with everything you say in the review if they have played the game themselves - this is absolutely normal. But when you say, for example: "this game is very immersive and uses an atmospheric soundtrack, captivating voice acting and gameplay mechanics to hook the player in", you should go on to give an example of a character that is particularly well-voiced and what makes them so great, or what gameplay mechanics are used to immerse the player etc.

4. Try to control the length of your reviews. In my opinion, a review that consists of less than 500 words isn't worth my time. Of course, various people have different expectations and preferences. A review that has over 2,500 words probably won't get my attention unless I'm really interested in the game it's about or I start reading it and it is so good that I get hooked in. However, even if a very long review hooks me in, it might start to drag on later and lose my attention. That's why I recommend keeping your review at around 1,000 words (1,500 being the final maximum limit).

5. I suggest writing about the difficulty of the game in your review as well, as that is a major factor for many people when deciding whether to buy a game or not.

Please keep in mind that this is all just advice and there's really no right or wrong way to go about when writing a review. Overall, for your first, this review is great and I recommend it. Smile

I used Microsoft office word.. which is a word-processing program. The word count is your opinion, it is all to do with the actual review, and no one might want to read 1000 or 1500, some might, so it's not advice for my review, it's advice so you like it Razz and the difficulty i forgot about, so i'll give you that one Razz and the sub-headings is just something i put in so people know what that part is about, tbh thats just to do with the game i was playing Smile
deatheven
deatheven
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CrimsonWolf Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:54 am

^I don't think you fully understood what I wrote. I gave you advice on how to progress and improve, that doesn't mean you made the mistakes in this review. Razz
CrimsonWolf
CrimsonWolf
Admin

https://what-the-game.forumotion.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post  deatheven Thu 30 Jun 2011, 2:58 am

P.s. if anyone has questions about what i mean or wants further detail on the game, just ask Smile
deatheven
deatheven
Admin

Back to top Go down

Beyond Good and Evil Empty ive never heard of this game but theis review makes me think i should. BRILLIANT review.

Post  TheEncryptionist Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:09 am

Deatheven
[b]

TheEncryptionist
Noob
Noob

Back to top Go down

Post  deatheven Thu 30 Jun 2011, 3:10 am

So far to both of you thank you for the advice which i will remember, and thank you for the comment on my review Smile
deatheven
deatheven
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down